Friday, May 30, 2008

Department of Commerce: NIST


So I recently started working for the National Institute of Standards and Technology, or NIST in Boulder, CO. It is a nice facility, right at the base of the flatirons, and an easy 2 mile bike ride from my house. In fact, I haven't driven here once. I figure that if I work at this location for a year, and ride my bike every day (or take the bus when it is snowing) then I can save $1800 in gas money simply by riding my bike. Thats a lot of money. Anyway, work is fun, and the best part is that I get to do multiple different tasks all day, and most of the time it is something different. That really keeps things interesting. Without change I get bored relatively quickly. I'm also going to be making enough money to continue skydiving throughout the next year, which is a definite benefit. I can't wait to jump again this weekend.

I guess the funny thing about NIST is that there really isn't any standardization whatsoever, despite the confidence building name. Yeah they do their part to control the clock with the atomic timekeeper they have here, and they are finding new ways to define the Boltzmann constant, but still, I had to use a typewriter today to fix a form that had to get scanned in and emailed... There's a serious clash of non-standardized technology right there. Oh well, at least I'm having a good time so far.

No comments: