Sunday, July 20, 2008

Full Moon, Tight Lines, and Zero Porosity: Tales of the Weekend Warrior

July 18th-20th, one of the best weekends yet, was absolutely full of adventure. A self proclaimed "weekend warrior" I was out to make the best of the 48 hours between thank God Friday and rest day monday. (I like to refer to going to work on Monday as my rest day, because I finally get to rest from all my "mild" adventures).

Friday night James, Steven, Kate and I took off from Boulder around 7:30 to go climb Mt. Audubon, a prominent 13er in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Gunning for a full moon ascent, we got to the trailhead just after sundown, and were hiking as it became dark. The first mile was spent in the fading twilight of a hazy evening, but just as we reached treeline, the moon began to rise. Already it was worth it. In a relatively easy hike we made it to the summit (13,221 ft) at about midnight. My Saturday had already started. After some pictures and tea, we made our way back down to Boulder for some much needed sleep.


Saturday was spent jumping out of planes. I did 2 tracking jumps with Jeff, one where he couldn't keep up with me, and then another where I couldn't keep up with him. Then I did a solo tracking dive with a pretty crappy opening that torqued my back and gave me some unwanted whiplash. It doesn't feel like there's any permanent damage though.


Sunday we woke up early and rigged a highline in Golden, the 30 foot long "Golden Spire" line. Everyone who came out got on the line, and did a great job pushing their individual boundaries, which is what it is all about. Laura got out there and got comfortable with the exposure and the experience in general which is a lot to go through. She did great and I can't wait to take her highlining again (I think irrational lack of fear is mixed in our gene pool somehow).



Sore, satisfied, bruised and amused, I returned to Boulder for some welcome rest.


Its weekends like this one that remind us that we are capable of anything, but until we push ourselves to the limit, or beyond, we will never know what satisfaction really is.

No comments: